|Period/Terms:||Full time, permanent|
|Remuneration:||£27 – £32k per year based on experience|
|Location:||London office & from home, plus frequent shooting at our studio in Essex|
|Reporting to:||Head of Production & Film|
At Mindful Education we specialise in creating media-rich professional courses.
The courses we build and deliver with UK colleges contain:
- Online lectures, which are scripted and presented by academics;
- Motion graphics and animations that augment the student experience;
- Case studies and online exercises; and
- Bespoke Virtual Learning Environments (VLEs) that host the content we create.
We are passionate about setting a new standard in the digital delivery of education for our students.
We are seeking a Lead Camera Operator and Video Editor ideally with experience creating educational video materials, to work across our professional courses and apprenticeships portfolio.
Working closely with our in-house team of academics, producers, script editors and motion graphics designers, you will be responsible for a crucial step in our course production workflow: stewarding the finished video lecture scripts through the process of being filmed and edited to an exceptionally high standard, ready for subsequent motion graphics work.
You will also work closely with the Creative Director on our marketing and promotional videos, into which you will have a significant opportunity to inject flair and creativity.
Your pre-production responsibilities will include:
- Attending rehearsals with a close knit creative team to finesse and finalise the scripts and performances ahead of the shoot
- Breaking the scripts down into shot-lists and preparing autocue documents
- Having input into initial ideas and concepts
Your production responsibilities will include:
- Operating camera, lighting, and sound recording equipment on our studio-based shoots, working with the wider production team
- Supporting the director to ensure academics give clear, accurate and engaging performances
- Working with the production team to ensure shoots run smoothly, making appropriate changes to the environment (backgrounds, sets, equipment) and troubleshooting any issues that arise
Your post-production work will include:
- Assembly and edit of the videos – to a high standard and to strict deadlines
- Colouring and audio edit of the final deliverables
- Working with the motion graphics team to ensure that all video deliverables integrate into onward post-production workflows
- Keeping files organised within a logical system and backing up files on a regular basis
- Working with the Creative Director and Marketing teams to produce high quality marketing videos
- Making editorial choices on shots, music and cutaways to use
- Going on location to colleges to film where required
Essential Skills and Experience
The candidate must possess the following skills, experience and attributes:
- Experienced and proven camera operator
- 2 years experience of camera and editing experience
- Comfortable with shooting and lighting for DSLR videography in a studio environment. Our in-house equipment is based around a Sony a7s.
- Competent sound recordist. Our in-house equipment is based around a Rode shotgun mic and a Sound Devices Pre-mix 3 mixer
- Experienced with Adobe Premiere Pro
- Ability to work collaboratively on-set as well as autonomously off-set under schedule and deadline pressures
Desirable Skills, Experience and tools
The ideal candidate will have 2 years experience as a Camera Operator and Video Editor teamed with the ambition and enthusiasm to learn and grow within a dynamic team. This opportunity is open to someone who may have studied at a degree level, voluntary video experience or a college level qualification. The following skills, experience and attributes would be an advantage:
- Experience of working in educational filmmaking.
- Knowledge of the Premiere Pro API and Adobe ExtendScript
- Experience of using Live Logger to track the best takes
To apply please email email@example.com with your current CV and a covering email. Please quote ‘Lead Camera Operator and Video Editor’ in the subject header of the email and include any links to a showreel or examples of your recent work. The position is available for a May start. Applications close on Friday 7 May . We will be in contact with any successful applicants shortly after this date.
A note on location and the impact of Coronavirus
During the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, the Mindful Education team has been home-based, and all team members have been working remotely, except on shoot days when we film at our in-house studio, based in Essex following strict social distancing guidelines. We do not know what the future holds in terms of ongoing lockdown and social distancing requirements, therefore this role will be initially home based except on shoot days. Going forward, when government guidance states that it is safe to do so, the role holder may be required to work from our offices in Soho.